Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Outlander - Diana Gabaldon

Yes, that's right. I finally caved and read Outlander by Diana Gabaldon. I was putting this off since it seemed like such a big commitment: 850 pages! Anyways, I figured since I will be on vacation in Hawaii with a 5-hour difference jetlag, why shouldn't I be able to finish? 

I was quite right and wrong in a way. At first I started out with A Million Little Pieces by James Frey because I always feel guilty when reading romance after romance (does that happen to you?). But I eventually turned to Outlander and it did not disappoint! 

I don't know if I would even call it a romance. It was so well-rounded with action/adventure, historical, and romantic elements! 

And Jamie Fraser, the hero, was so... I don't know what to call it... he had his faults (which definitely made him more realistic) but Diana put it in a way that emphasized his perfection as the ultimate hero. I usually don't go for time-travel or even historical things because of the apparent sexism. Not that this book didn't have any of that. But it wasn't glaringly obvious to me...and maybe I was so engrossed in the book that I didn't care!

The book at times was very painful to read--not because it was boring, but because I was so involved as a reader. I cringed at the scenes that made me want to cry my eyes out. I cried because I was so moved by Claire and Jamie's dedication to each other. I hungered for more even after I zoomed past the last page, unable to believe that those 850 pages had passed by so quickly! Anyways, I'm definitely going to finish up the rest of the series. I heard there were 7 so far! Hopefully the 7th book is the end... I don't know what I'd do with such a long time without the next in line!

All in all, Outlander was definitely worth the read! I believe this is a true keeper that will satisfy all the genre cravings you have. The book didn't get repetitive as some people claim it did and it is a great escapism book. You know that feeling you get when you finish a book... and it's left you empty and sad that you've finished it? That's how I feel right now. And the only cure will be the next book in the series. I sincerely hope it can live up to this one.

People who have read Outlander before: how did you find another book outside the series to satisfy your booklust? 

No comments:

Post a Comment